Should I Repair or Replace My Roof?
Your Roof Needs CareThe most critical part of the house is the roof, as it shelters us from the vagaries of the elements-rain, sun, wind, hurricanes, tornados, snow, and leaf deposits. In doing so, the roof takes a lot of beating throughout the year. It needs to be cared for, routinely. Routine roof maintenance will offset almost any damage that may have occurred and will prevent further deterioration. Thus, roof repairs done in time will significantly prolong the life of your roof.
The Tornado Factor in MinnesotaIf you have been living in Minnesota for some time, then probably you know that the state lies in what is called the “Tornado Alley”, and therefore houses in the state are especially vulnerable. St Cloud, Minnesota gets a good share of all the Tornados which hit the United States routinely. In 2010, Minnesota received 113 tornados. As many as 48 tornados hit Minnesota on a single day, on June 17, 2010. And of course, tornados play havoc where they visit. Flying debris will damage windows, uproot trees, and even tear away weak and deteriorated roofs from houses. What do you do to protect your house against such an unfortunate situation during a tornado? Your best insurance is a good, well-maintained healthy roof.
How to Ensure a Good Healthy RoofCaring for your roof is like playing doctor to a patient who cannot express himself. You just must know, and take regular preventive action by seeking professional roof maintenance, repair or replacement.
What Roof Maintenance InvolvesRoof care consists of two parts: preventative inspection and maintenance, and roof repairs.
- Preventive inspection and maintenance - This will prevent things from reaching an unmanageable state and avoid later heavy expenses. This involves inspections of critical areas, clearing any debris, repainting, and touch-ups. At least once a year, and after a storm, earthquake, or tornado
- Repairs- If some damage is noted, it must be fixed through roof restoration. Sometimes, roofs are so damaged that they cannot be repaired. In these cases, roof replacement is the best option.
Preventive Roof Maintenance
- During a routine inspection of your roof, look for:
- Rust spots or caulk cracks on flashing. They indicate aging and deterioration.
- Broken shingles or damaged ones, e.g. curling, buckling, or blistering
- Missing shingles. Shingles are necessary to protect the underlying roof material from the wear effect of wind, rain, etc. They also provide a measure of insulation
- Cracks on rubber boots around vent pipes. Damaged boots around your plumbing vents will permit water and damp seepage, leading to further damage and reduction in the life of your roof
- Moss and lichen clumps. They indicate roof decay underneath
- Colored grit in the gutters may point to worn out shingles
- Remove any leaves, clear moss, and any snow. This will prevent the formation of snow dams and overflow of gutters
- Replace any missing shingles and rusted or cracked vent boots, etc.
- It is a very good idea to wash and shampoo the roof thoroughly after the above repairs
- Check the age of your roofing to see if its predicted life is nearly ending.
Can You Do This?If you are a handyman, and not afraid of climbing a ladder high, you can easily do most of the above maintenance. But not all. And most people prefer to have the roof inspected and maintained by a professional roofing specialist despite the cost. There are a couple of good reasons:
- An experienced roof repair professional will carry out a really thorough inspection and anticipate risks arising from it. A professional can do a high-quality professional repair and provide his or her recommendation
- Professionals are properly equipped with all the tools and aids to perform roof restoration or replacement.
When Do You Need a Roof Replacement?Whether you do roof maintenance yourself or like most people, call in a roofing specialist, a time will come when the roof will need a replacement. But the decision on whether or not to replace it is a very difficult one. Roof replacement cost is very high, ranging roughly from $15,000 for standard, to four times that amount for roofs using high-end materials.
Here are some signs that might indicate your roof needs replacement:
- Damp Insides - Signs of moisture are an indication that the roof is in a generally bad shape. These signs may be, a damp feel on the walls, stains, peeling paint - all indicators. If these conditions return soon after a roof repair, the next step may be a replacement
- Missing or Damaged Shingles- If the damage is in one odd spot, a local repair may be advisable. But if the damage is spread about, and exceeding, say, one-third of the area, a replacement may be a better option
- Recent Calamities: Tornados and hurricanes will often cause some visible damage and some damage that may not be detected easily. Such problems will start showing slowly, and may demand a roof replacement soon after you have spent good money on repairs. If it does, you should really consider a replacement
- Nearing Normal Roof Life - Your roof was designed to last a certain number of years. Check the documents of your house to find out how much it is. If that limit is approaching, you have to be careful. Asphalt shingle roof will normally need replacement after 15 years.
Replacing Your Roof Can Be a Good InvestmentIf your asphalt roof is 15 years old or more, it may be due for replacement. A mid-priced new roof could cost you around $15,000. You’ll recover a healthy 105% of that investment if you should decide to sell your home, as a roofing replacement job is perhaps the only thing that repays more than the initial investment. Not only that, but you’re bound to be glad you replaced your roofing. Homeowners polled in a survey gave their new roofing a Joy Score of 9.7 — a rating based on those who said they were happy or satisfied with their remodeling project, with 10 being the highest rating and 1 the lowest.
However, in most cases, Zablocki has recommended a repair than a replace, based on the condition of your roof - take a look at the repair vs replace graph
Seek Professional AdviceRoof replacement is expensive. But you must do it when it becomes necessary. Seek professional advice. The cost of professional advice may be more than offset by the results of a timely decision. If you are in the St. Cloud area in Minnesota, call Zablocki Roofing.
Why Should You Choose Zablocki Roofing?We’re professionals whose CEO virtually grew up in the roofing business. Shane Zablocki has been in the business since he was still a teenager. The business is now 15 years old with an excellent reputation for honesty and sincerity. Be assured, if your roof needs a repair only, that is what we’ll advise you. Besides, we do it all, whether it is roof cleaning, roof repair, or roof replacement. We’re also licensed and insured in this business.
If it’s anything about your roof, we have the answer!
Call 320-203-1297 or Email: email@example.com